Divorce mediation has become a very popular and effective tool that couples can use to settle all aspects of a divorce. In fact, in the state of Minnesota, the court system actually encourages couples to try a form of mediation before they enter the court system. Mediation is intended to be a collaborative process in which a neutral, third party (a mediator) helps facilitate discussion about key issues such as division of assets, property and debt, development of a custody arrangement (also known as a parenting agreement) and even the necessity for child/spousal support payments. Lesa Koski is an experienced and trusted mediator based in Stillwater, MN, who also serves couples in the Woodbury area. Lesa’s strong communication skills, empathetic nature and collaborative approach make her ideally suited to help couples facing divorce in the MN area.
Important Benefits Of Divorce Mediation
There are important and long term benefits of navigating the divorce process via mediation instead of following the traditional path of litigation. Some of these benefits include the following:
● Less expensive: Divorce mediation costs less than a court battle (some estimate between 20-60% less). In addition, the emotional costs of divorce are also lessened if you choose mediation.
● Flexible Solutions: Mediation encourages creativity and collaboration to solve important issues in the divorce process. This allows for more flexible solutions that are designed to work based on your family’s unique needs.
● Less conflict: A court battle is by nature adversarial. This conflict can very easily impact the children in the marriage. Mediation can be easier and models positive behavior for future co-parenting.
● Solution based: A court battle tends to look backward at your history (and problems) with your soon to be ex-spouse while mediation looks forward to your future and solutions to get you there.
● Increased compliance: Because you are more invested in the solutions you develop, couples tend to follow the agreements set via mediation.
● Faster resolution: Mediation can generally settle the terms of a divorce in 3-4 2 hour sessions over the course of 6-8 weeks. Proceeding through the court system can take months and sometimes longer.
Divorce Mediation Services, Woodbury, MN
Lesa Koski can help you and your divorcing spouse achieve peace and sense that you have control over your own life through her divorce mediation services. Mediation allows you to help shape your future and begin to move past the pain of the past and see the hope in your future. For more information or to schedule a time to meet with Lesa, call her at (651) 214-5057.